We Need More Caregivers!

As my girls have gotten older and more independent I’ve begun the arduous task of finding part-time work.  Arduous because the work hours need to fit around the girls’ school hours (including holidays); and because I haven’t worked for over 10 years, and I’m 50, fat and a crabby.  I’m out of the loop!

I’ve been a housekeeper, a secretary, an account manager, a campus supervisor.  Heck!  I’ve even pumped gas!  Mostly, though, I’ve been a secretary.  I love being organized and maintaining that order.  Nerd?  Maybe.  I’ve gotta tell you, it’s no easy task finding a clerical job from 9am to 2pm, with holidays and summers off.  Not a lot of people knocking on my door.

I’d been curious about Care.com, so I signed up.  I looked for pet care, help with errands and transportation type positions.  Things I could do around school hours.  I applied for job after job after job.  Nothing.  Looking for work can be very defeating.  You polish your resume, update LinkedIn (all your social media), update your wardrobe.  Ready to roll!  You open the door only to be greeted by a mountain of disinterest.

My sister-in-law and Mom.  (I don't have picture of me being a caregiver.)
Until finally one day someone was interested!  Finally.  Surprisingly, I was called by a home care agency looking for caregivers.  Hmm. I had no caregiving experience.  Nevertheless, my interest was piqued.  I interviewed to be a non-medical caregiver, mostly companion care.  I was hired on the spot (though that speaks more to the need for caregivers than my skill and experience).  I was working within the week!    

Now, for those of you who don’t know, companion care means helping your client with chores, errands, doctor’s appointments.  Being present with them so they can stay in their own homes rather than moving in with a child or into a nursing facility.  Personal care, an important distinction, means helping your client with bathing, dressing and toileting.  Personal care scared me.  I was so worried about how I would handle the bodily issues of my clients.  I’m a gagger.  I don’t say this disrespectfully.  I simply don’t want to embarrass or shame anybody.  It’s a delicate issue. 

Mom and friend.  I don't have senior pictures.
In spite of my requesting strictly companion care, my first client required personal care.  I was to help her bath and get dressed.  She had had a stroke and was partially paralyzed on the left side.  Actually, she would bathe herself, I was mostly there for dressing and to tidy her house.  I put down my fears and approached her very neutrally, like I was dressing my child.  God bless her patience!  Many a day she suffered a boob pinch at my fretful hand.  

However, we quickly found our rhythm and comfort.  She lives alone in a large home.  Although she’s socially active, it’s comforting knowing someone will always be there for you.  On day she fell in the bathroom.  I was in the kitchen and heard the boom.  I found her naked, sprawled flat on her back.  Her eyes were wide with fear.  She had already pushed her emergency alert and help was on the way.  In that moment her nakedness disappeared.  She was scared.  I sat with her on the floor next to her and covered her with a towel.  She sat silently, calming herself.  I was glad I was there.  Soon enough the firemen arrived and she was returned to her bed to rest.  I sat with her for a while. 

 That is caregiving.  We chase away aloneness.  We participate in the dailyness of their lives.  This really is a sacred job. 


If you are interested in becoming a caregiver there are several reputable home care agencies with office nationwide.  They are always looking for caregivers.

Homewatch Caregivers
Comfort Keepers

Comments

Popular Posts