Grandma's Biscuits

I adored my Gramma Jane.  She was a stout German woman with heavily sprayed silver hair, pin curls firmly in place.  Every night she would sit at her table watching the news on a 13' black and white TV and pin each curl in place.  She slept on a hot pink satin pillowcase to protect her hairdo.

Gramma was a fantastic cook, baker and candy-maker.  Every Christmas she would create a wonderland of delectable confections.  Fudge, divinity, peanut brittle, English toffee and candied walnuts dyed red and green.  I sneaked many a toffee bits from Gram's orange candy dish.  I tried to duplicate the candied walnuts once.  I won't say I failed, I succeeded in making candied walnut clumps.

Gramma had a gold covered Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book, Souvenir Edition (1965).  Throughout the book are notes scribbled on "from the kitchen of Jane Coleman" notes, amending various recipes.  I got the cookbook when she passed (gosh it's been over 30 years ago).  I don't like cooking.  Funny to say since I'm including a recipe -- I cook because I have to what with having a family and all.  Anyway, I have used her book for several recipes, apple cake, applesauce, Chicken soup (though I use Cornish hen) and, of course, biscuits.

So, in spite of my disinterest in cooking, I'm famous for these biscuits!


Gramma Jane's Baking Powder Biscuits

2 c. flour
3 t. baking powder
 1/4 c. shortening (I always use butter)
3/4 c. cold milk
1/2 t. salt

Mix dry ingredients.  Cut in shortening until you have mostly crumbles.  Make a well and add milk.  Stir until these ingredients start to come together.  




Mix to a dough, gently.  Knead lightly to smooth dough.  Over-kneading will make for tough biscuits.  Roll out to 3/4 in. and cut with a biscuit cutter or drinking glass.  I always use a glass because I like the popping sound!




Bake for 450 for 12-15 minutes.  Serve with butter and honey (or jelly)!



Comments

Popular Posts